Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post 9/ What do good schools look like



I believe that there are a number of things that can make a school "good". The first major aspect that I agree that every school should have is a comforting and welcoming environment. All teachers, administrators, principles, and workers should be approachable, positive, and act as roemodels for all. When I think of a school where I would be confident in myself and interesting in learning, all my teachers would be friendly and encourage taking intellectual risks even if one is wrong. All teachers would implement problem-posing education and would grow with the students. These teachers would engage their students often in class discussion, hands-on lessons, and constantly be open to feedback from students. It would be an environment where kid's ideas in the classroom will be valued and the teacher's thoughts and ideas will not be any more significant then theirs. Kids will feel empowered and able to believe in their abilities, instead of teachers constantly telling them that they are the teacher and that they know more and  that they always will. 

All classrooms would be bright and colorful with a source of a window or windows if possible. As silly as this sounds, I think it is very important for students to feel comfortable in the classroom when they are there for 6 hours a day. It is essentially their "second home". From personal experience I have found that when in a dull, unorganized room I have been unmotivated to do my work than when in a bright room that a teacher has put some effort into decorating. 

Furthermore, I believe that no matter what age level, every school should have a wide variety of sports and clubs or activities students can participate after school. Not only does this help students to discover what they're interested in, but it produces discipline and helps them to become more involved.  Everyday after school, and during the day it would be very helpful if there was a type of "homework club"  where students could get help with what they were struggling with. This way every kid could have an extra opportunity of getting help. 

Lastly, I believe that a "good school" has small class sizes where every child is accounted for. By allowing having smaller classes, kids will receive more attention and teachers will better be able to  serve them. In conjunction with this, ever kid should be considered mportant and unique in their own ways. Coming from a large highschool, I personally felt just like a number at times. Overall, a "good school" to me is a place where children are nurtured and encouraged to  be the best that they can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment