Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post 8

Lately, it has been very difficult for me to decide wether I want to go into elementary school teaching or high school teaching. I love both of them very much for very specific reasons.

I could see myself being an elementary teacher because I love kids and I enjoy watching them grow. I would be very excited to be in a classroom with little kids because they would keep me smiling all day long. In addition, I feel that my personality would fit in better in elementary because I am honestly a kid at heart. I enjoy watching disney movies, playing on the playground, going to pumpkin patches, and of course acting silly. I feel like at times I would be able to relate to the kids in a very large way. Although, I could see myself teaching little ones, I think it would be very hard for me to stay calm if a kid is having a breakdown or the class is in chaos. I would be able to stay calm and collected on the outside, but in any situation of crisis I would freak out or get stressed on the inside.  In addition, I think it would be very hard to create lesson plans because the material they are having to learn would be something that I have known for years. It would be very difficult to train my brain to think that I have never learned it in order to think up a way I could teach them the chosen concept.

I have always been drawn to teach high school because while I was in high school I had some of the best teachers that anyone could ever ask for. By having these teachers, they have changed the way I look at myself and have truly helped me succeed in our world today. Specifically, I had a teacher named Mrs.Weiant that made an incredible impact on my life. From day one that she had started to teach me freshman year, she was always compassionate, caring, and encouraging to all her students. She made a great effort to let you know that every kid is important and that each one has a special strength. Throughout all her teaching she has helped me to see who Christ really is. Over the years, I have formed an amazing relationship that I will never forget and that I will be able to cherish for forever. She will always be someone who is very dear to me.

In addition, I had two math teachers, Mrs.Taylor and Mr.Nutter that have truly taught me to believe in myself. I have always struggled in math and it for sure is not something I'm comfortable with, let alone confident with. These two teachers were always willing to give up extra time after school, during my study hall or in the morning to help me. Instead of judging a student of their test scores, Mr.Nutter would always acknowledge how much effort I would put into homework and practicing after class even if I did get a bad test score for my first test. He always told me to believe in myself and that I knew what I was doing. I will never forget his warm smile. In addition, I would always look forward to going to the math lab during study hall because Mrs.Taylor would be there. Although, I hated math she always made it fun and was a teacher that I have formed an awesome relationship with. She would always form conversations with me even if they did not have to do with math. It made me feel like we were on the same level and that I "was not just a kid". Till today, I am in contact with all these teachers.

Although, I have had some great experiences in high school, I sometimes am hesitant to think about how I would feel if I had a lot of kids that would refuse to do their homework and actually learn. I would also be hesitant to see if I fit in, in this setting because I am sometimes shy when it comes to talking to a big group of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment