Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post 7/8


After writing the blog post 7 on Bill Ayers "Building Bridges" I would like to elaborate on engaging students and growing together. In my opinion, in order to engage students teachers must find a mode of common interest to help transport what needs to be comprehended. If I am in an elementary classroom and am teaching addition and subtraction I might have kids using marbles or candy to figure out the answer. If I am in a high school classroom and am teaching english, I may have them play an intense review game that involves throwing a ball into a bin and keeping score. In each classroom there is a way to spark your students interest and curiosity even if they do not like the subject you are teaching. I strongly believe that in order to find a mode of common interest for your class, you need to get to know them first. Other ways to engage your students is to hold class discussions, encourage hand raising, and to reward a child that answers a question even if they are wrong.
Another aspect of teaching that is critical not only for "building bridges", is growing with your students. Letting students know that they have a say too, and that they are important is something all teachers need to keep in mind. Many teachers may get up in front of the class each day, lecture, have students take notes, and then dismiss them and not even realize how detrimental or inferior they are making their students feel. In order to grow with your students, teachers must keep an open mind and be ready for change in order to accommodate for their students. They must ask questions, be open to feedback, and listen to them.
When I become a teacher I plan on having the kids help me create the syllabus if I am in a high school setting. This way it will make them feel like they have a huge say in the class and are in a class that keeps them proactive. If students mention that they would want to be able to chew gum or have their phones I will fully take it into consideration because it will be our classroom, not mine. Finding every way that you can to make the students feel that they are important will not only make your class prosper, but it will increase their confidence within themselves and in their ability to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment