Saturday, September 20, 2014

What should my classroom be like?

The Fundamentals of my classroom

After reading the Chapter 3 Creating an environment for learning I started to wonder about what my classroom would look like and how it should make my kids feel. Even though I don’t know whether I want to teach young children or high schoolers there were a few things that I definitely feel that are beneficial to have within my room. First off, I will have a jar of pencils and pens on my desk for children to borrow if they forgot one, because we all forget things time to time no matter how responsible we are. I would also have a few family pictures or knick knacks on my desk that are important to me to help my students to get to know me better. In addition, I would love to have a small pot of flowers on my desk to brighten up everyone’s day when they walk in the room. I think it’s very important to have a clean and healthy room for students to relax and be able to comfortably do their work in. Throughout high school, there were many classrooms that didn’t have tissues or hand sanitizer which made me very embarrassed when having a runny nose and self-conscious when I was sick. There will always be soft tissues and hand sanitizer for all kids to use, as well as Febreeze when it gets hot and the rooms tend to not smell their best. In addition, I hope to have a basket with blankets on the floor if I teach elementary or high school english because I always had difficulty trying to read in my english classes when it was freezing in the winter. There will also always be a visual aid to what is for homework each night and the board will always be legible and written in big letters. Even though I didn’t need glasses in highschool I struggled to see the notes that my teachers would write if I sat in the back row and it was very frustrating. Therefore I hope to arrange a seating arrangement in which every student has the right to see everything and learn in the best way that they can. I hope to constantly be changing the seating arrangement so students can over time become more comfortable with everyone. I think it’s very important for my students to feel emotionally comfortable as well. Hand raising and speaking up about one’s own opinions will be greatly encouraged and there will be no such thing as a stupid question. Respecting others in the class will be held at a top priority and open discussion about certain topics that we are learning will happen often in order for everyone to get to know each other. Also when my students tend to look tired or unmotivated I hope to give them a few minutes to stretch and grab a piece of candy. Overall, I want my students to feel special and loved when they are within my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment